Role of Groups in Fostering Civil, Human and Immigrant Rights
There exist several bodies that advocate for civil, human and immigrant rights worldwide. Human right protection is a significant need that should be at the forefront in any country. Such groups that promote civil, human and immigrant rights include:
- The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights (CHIRLA). This organization operates from California, and it fights for the rights of individuals and immigrant families. It promotes democracy by encouraging mobility and human right participation in it. The group has been working with commitment since its formation. It advocates for a society where individuals from all walks of life can be accommodated equally. CHIRLA received recognition via the historical recruitment of undocumented workers which came immediately after the Immigration Reform and Control Act in the year 1986
- Lacey and Larkin Frontera fund. Formed by Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin. The duo are the founders of the renowned Phoenix New Time and Village Voice Media. The two reporters were sent to jail on one night for doing a story about the existence of grand jury proceedings covering the Maricopa county sheriffs Joe Arpaio. They later sued the government and won the case. Compensation of$3.75 million given to them was used to establish Frontera Fund.
This foundation has been of great benefit to the Hispanic community that at one time faced intensive violation of civil and human rights in Arizona. The Frontera fund supports other groups such as Arizona justice project which advocates for inmates justice. Lacey and Larkin were at the forefront of dedicating their life for fighting for human rights in the United States. Read more: Michael Lacey | Crunchbase and Jim Larkin | Crunchbase
- Advocate for human rights. This body has been in operation for almost thirty years since its formation. It advocates for the rights of women, children, and immigrants around the world. The group is non-partisan, independent and non-profit making. It operates locally, regionally and internationally.
- Furthermore, the group represents the victims and informs individuals on human rights issues. It offers free and technical assistance with the aim of preventing human rights misuse. The team provides free legal services to individuals with low living standards in places like North Dakota and Minnesota.
- Lawyers committee for civil rights that fall under the law human rights group. This human rights group has been in existence for fifty years now. The body formed during the tenure of President John F Kennedy to deal with racial discrimination. The mission of this institution is to see to it that minority racial and ethnic groups do not face any iniquity in any way.