Mitt Romney, a former presidential candidate for the Republican party, recently needed prostate surgery to tackle a tumor before it developed into something major; the fact that he has publicly announced this recently shows that he most likely will be running for Utah’s senate seat. Dr. Thomas Ahlering was Mitt Romney’s surgeon for the operation, which ended in success and the tumor was removed. Dr. David Samadi took this opportunity to give information about prostate cancer.
— Dr. David Samadi (@drdavidsamadi) February 22, 2018
Dr. David Samadi is known for many achievements and titles, including Chief of Robotic Surgery in New York City, Chairman of Urology, and the Professor of Urology at Hofstra School of Medicine for his innovative accomplishments. Dr. Samadi’s background is quite remarkable as well; he fled Iran in 1979 to complete his education and studied at an abundance of schools, all furthering his career in medicine. He is known for his amazing new theories and ways of dealing with and treating cancers at an early stage that is helpful to his patients. He pays attention to the details instead of trying to just take in as many patients as possible.
3/5 of men 65 and older develop prostate cancer, averaging to the age of 66. When faced with this type of cancer, a decision has to be made on whether to go through radiation or surgery. Dr. Samadi stated that he always looks at the negatives and positives for each patient, but that he usually prefers surgery over radiation if the cancer is only in the prostate gland; one of the reasons is that the general success rate is higher in surgery under that condition and that the possibility of another cancer becomes higher after radiation. Dr. Samadi also commented, patients treated with radiation are twice as likely to die from prostate cancer and one- and-a-half times more likely to die sooner than men with had prostate cancer treated with surgery.”
When faced with prostate cancer, the best thing to do is to consult with a surgeon experienced in dealing with prostate cancer (who also has bountiful successful surgeries) to better decide what choice is best for each individual. Different treatments provide different effects afterward, so it’s best to be prepared by knowing the details of the surgeon’s performance.
Read More: www.crunchbase.com/person/dr-david-samadi
There are few areas of research more important than the work medical professionals are working on in regards to cancer. Cancer is one of the mot terrifying words a person can hear and there are so dreadfully little that we don’t know as of yet. Eric Lefkofsky co-founder of Groupon, has recently shifted his focus toward the medical research field relating to cancer. Lefkofsky recently spoke at the Fortune Brainstorm Health Conference which occurred in San Diego this year.
The biggest issue with cancer research is that for every thing medical professionals learn, there is a dozen different things that can crop up to further obfuscate the field. A research can look deeply into a medication such as Herceptin and find out that it successfully treats 40% of their patients. The question then follows: What happened to the other 60% of people? Patient data is plentiful but the unfortunate truth is that there is no great ways for professionals to dig into it. This is where Eric Lefkofsky and his work at Tempus come into play.
Lefkofsky co-founded and is the operating CEO at Tempus. The goal of this new startup is to focus on establishing databases that pool together electronic medical records with an accessible interface. The goal of the company is to aggregate all of the data, verify it from its source, and put it back into a larger data pool that can be accessed by the people who need it for their research to learn more: https://www.tempus.com/about-us/ click here.
Eric Lefkofsky didn’t stumble upon the need for his work at Tempus, he was inspired by real life issues. When his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer Lefkofsky would see firsthand just how inefficient the current systems were. Lefkofsky remarked that truck drivers had better access to information that they needed. An enlightening comparison that Lefkofsky made included the medication Herceptin. Lefkofsky said that getting information regarding Herceptin usage would “need a grant and at least 90 days” to really dig in.
Eric Lefkofsky has found success in a variety of industries. He’s the co-founder at Tempus, the co-founder at Groupon, and the co-founder of Uptake Technologies.